16 October 2008

Ann Sims (b. 1792)

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from someone asking me where I found the death place of Ann SIMS (who married William PAINTER). She died in Apr of 1888 and the place that I had for her was Augusta, Kennebec, Maine. The answer to the question is that I inherited the information. Not being satisfied with that answer I decided to do a quick search and see what I could find for Ann.

The first place I looked was the census. The closest census to her death date is the 1880 census. I found her in that census living with her son, William PAINTER. They were living in Augusta, Richmond, GEORGIA! This is not proof that she died in Georgia but it makes more sense than Maine.

Since I was looking at the Census I decided to look for Ann in other censuses. I found her in the 1851 British census as the head of the household (her husband died in 1836). She was 57 years old and her occupation was listed as Nurse. Three of her Children were living with her - John (age 13), Harriet (age 18), George and his wife Catherine Hughs (both age 27). The were living in St. Michael Parish, Coventry, Warwickshire, England.

In 1861 Ann was living with Harriett McLean who was also a widow on Earl Street in St John Parish, Coventry, Warwickshire, England. She is listed as 68 years old and her occupation was listed as Nurse. Also in 1861 I found Ann on a passenger list on the ship "Underwriter" (It looks like she is traveling with the McLean's). Her destination is listed as "Utah" and she is booked in the lower storage. The passenger list is dated 22 May 1861.

Ann Married William BROADHEAD on 10 Oct 1868 in The Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States. On the 1870 she is listed in William Broadhead's household. she is 78 years old.

1 comment:

La Mujer Loca said...

Just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate you doing this blog. It's very informative and INTERESTING. I'll keep checking up on it.

Steph (Clarke) Anderson