12 December 2008

A Christmas Gift Idea


Earlier this year my Uncle and I published the first of two photo history books of Springville. These books were compiled by my Grandfather, Vern Jeffers. My grandpa had a love for history and photography. He spent many hours compiling scrapbooks of the local area. He gathered many pictures from his friends as well as taking many of them himself. In July of 1978, referring to the first volume, my grandpa said:


"In presenting this Album, I assure the viewer that I have no ambition to write a history book of Springville. I have sincerely set things down as I have seen or known them in the past. The dates are taken from history, most of the pictures are originals, taken by my self or are copies made from very old prints loaned to me by the owner. If I have erred in some small detail, it is not that I made a mistake in describing what I may have seen or was told by someone, but that I viewed the picture through different eyes.

"It is my hope that someone will see and read the following pages and that in a small way, it will help them write a complete history of the town of Springville, for the town is making new history every day.

"Studying Springville’s history presents an unusual chance to gain insight into the city’s heritage and to reflect on the courage, character, and vision of the first pioneers. We are able to have a better understanding of this history because of the necessary interested persons collected and compiled much of the necessary material to re-construct what happened.

"Springville, settled on the edge of the State’s frontier was not an ordinary town. It was an important outpost in the 1850's and 1860's. A center for religious, Intellectual, political, and economic life. It’s leaders and descendants not only influenced the immediate community, but served as a catalyst for the development of a new state and the west."


The book is presented as a duplicate of the original scrapbook by Vern Jeffers.

If anyone is interested in a copy of this book, they are being sold at SOS Drug in Springville,UT for $15.00.

(Hopefully Volume 2 will be out Summer of 2009)

1 comment:

La Mujer Loca said...

Wow! Congratulations on the book. Sounds like it'll make a very interesting read.